5 Tips for Packing Your Destination Wedding Dress
If you're worried about transporting your wedding dress to a distant location, here are five tips on how to make sure your gown reaches your wedding in prime condition:.
1. Choose a travel-friendly style and fabric. Easy transport of your destination wedding dress starts with choosing a packable style. Look for lightweight, comfortable fabrics that don't crease easily, such as silk charmeuse, lace or chiffon. And a slim silhouette is much easier to pack than a huge skirt with layers of crinoline.
2. Talk to your bridal salon. They may have packing tips for the dress you have chosen. And they may be able to insert a cardboard form into the bodice, or even be willing to pack the dress for you.
3. Protect your dress. Stuff acid-free tissue paper in the bodice and layer it between each fold. Since tissue paper colors can run, be sure to use the same shade or slightly lighter than your dress color. Then wrap the gown in dry-cleaner bags to provide an extra layer of protection.
4. Carry it on. To avoid the risk of lost or delayed luggage, take your dress as a carry-on. Call the airline in advance and request that your gown be placed in an in-flight closet. Or you can lay the dress flat in the overhead bin on top of the other luggage.
5. Ask your venue about garment care. Know in advance if there’s an iron, a steamer, a seamstress or dry-cleaning service on site. If not, bring your own care and mending tools.
With a little extra care and planning, your wedding gown will come out of your luggage ready to help you shine on your big day.