A little sweetness for St. Patty’s Day! Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake Recipe.
A little sweetness for St. Patty’s Day!
Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake with Baileys Cream Cheese Icing
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: 1 hr Serves:12
Ingredients: Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake
• 1 cup Guinness beer
• 1 cup + 1 tbsp butter
• 2/3 cup cocoa powder
• 1 3/4 cups caster/superfine sugar
• 2/3 cup sour cream
• 2 eggs
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups plain flour
• 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
Instructions: Dark Chocolate Guinness Cake
1. Preheat oven 350°F and butter and line a 9” spring form tin.
2. Melt the butter into the Guinness in a saucepan over low heat.
3. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar and take the saucepan off the heat.
4. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl until combined, then add to the beer mixture.
5. Whisk in the flour and bicarb until combined.
6. Pour the cake batter into the tin and bake for an hour. The middle of the cake may still be slightly wet when you take the cake out, but it will firm up as it cools down.
7. Leave to cool completely in the tin as it is quite a damp cake and could collapse.
Ingredients: Baileys Cream Cheese Icing
• 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar/powdered sugar
• 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
• 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
• 4-6 tbsps Baileys Irish Cream (to taste)
Instructions: Baileys Cream Cheese Icing
1. Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
2. Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated.
3. Add in Baileys. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
4. Dollop lashings of the icing onto the top of the cake to recreate the froth like on a glass of Guinness. If you are feeling particularly dexterous, slice the cake length-wise and fill the cake with the icing too (there will definitely be enough icing).